For Immediate Release:
NORWALK, IA — The Norwalk Community School District School Board would like to provide an update on the superintendent hiring process. The board recently met with staff at Grundmeyer Leader Services to review the candidate pool.
The position was posted and resulted in a total of 27 candidates, including four from outside the state of Iowa. The pool included 21 male candidates, five female candidates, and one candidate who chose no response. Nine of the candidates hold a terminal degree (Ed.D. or Ph.D.), while nine others hold specialist/six-year degrees.
After the review of candidates’ application materials, references, licensure verification, and social media, seven candidates have been selected for screening interviews on April 19. The screening process will allow the board to further evaluate the candidates’ qualifications for the position and narrow the process to three finalists.
The search consultants will set up and facilitate the screening interviews, and finalists will be publicly named shortly after those interviews take place. The desired qualifications identified by the district and board will continue to drive the hiring process. Those top desired qualifications include a superintendent who will:
- Recruit, hire, and retain effective staff
- Be approachable and visible in the school and community
- Promote a community of care and support for students
- Demonstrate ethics and integrity
- Foster community for teachers and staff that promotes a positive culture
- Can navigate political issues in the best interest of the district
- Demonstrate collaborative leadership that builds trust
- Effectively manages district resources
- Possess strong communication and decision-making skills
Stakeholders will soon be contacted to serve on the formal interview teams. These groups will include students, staff, teachers, administrators, and community members. Each person will provide the board with feedback on the finalists after the interviews.
The board will conduct formal interviews with the finalists on Wednesday, April 26. The new superintendent will officially begin leading the Norwalk Community School District on July 1, 2023.